Thursday, June 6, 2013

MUSTARD PARSLEY CHICKEN SAUTE


This year is my year to lose weight and get healthy. With the help of an amazing women (my lovely doctor/nutritionist) and following the wonderful book by Robert Bernstein for Diabetics, I have already lost 40 pounds, have cut my triglycerides in half, lowered my blood sugar from the high 300's to the low 90-100's, and cut down on my insulin. However, being a cook, I just couldn't seem to get my taste buds around the meals suggested. So, I decided to start researching low carb/high fat recipes that would make my meals a little more interesting and a little more appealing to my carb eating family. This is the beginning of that journey...

Inspiration - Mustard-Tarragon-Chicken-Saute - Epicurious


This is the first of the recipes I used (and changed, as usual) to fit the ingredients I had. The sauce came out so good that my husband said we should bottle it. BTW, I didn't eat the potato, of course, just the chicken and the asparagus.  Here is the Recipe I came up with...

MUSTARD PARSLEY CHICKEN SAUTE
Serves 3

2 TBSP BUTTER
3 LARGE CHICKEN BREASTS
1 LARGE SHALLOT, SLICED
1 CUP ITALIAN PARSLEY (FLAT LEAF) FINELY CHOPPED
1/3 CUP BRUT SPARKLING WINE (OR RED WINE)
1 TBSP DELI MUSTARD (WHOLE)
1/3 CUP HEAVY CREAM
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE

1. Salt and pepper chicken breasts and cook in medium saucepan in butter (about 5 minutes each side) until cooked through.

2. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

3. Keeping the heat on, pour wine into the pan and de-glaze the bottom. 

4. Add shallots and parsley and saute for about 3-4 minutes. 

5. Add mustard and heavy cream, mix well, and reduce liquid until thick (about 1-2 minutes).

6. Turn heat down to simmer.

7. Add chicken and juice from platter and spoon sauce over chicken.

8. Heat through and serve (making SURE you get a lot of this wonderful sauce onto your plate)

9. Eat and lick the plate clean.

 NUTRITIONAL (per serving): Calories 308, Carbs 7, Fat 19, Protein 18, Sodium 193, Sugar 0

No comments:

Post a Comment