Friday, June 7, 2013

BREAKFAST & LUNCH

I'll try to include some recipes in here for breakfast and lunches but to be honest, I've found that the simpler the better for these two meals, only because I never have time to cook during the week, so I've taken some shortcuts and eat mostly the same things during the day:

BREAKFAST
My favorite meal (at least right now) is eggs, ham and cheese with a slice of tomatoe:
  •  2 tomato slices (1/2" thick)
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 piece oval ham (cut in half - I use Kroger's sliced ham from the meat department)
  • 2 slices of cheddar cheese (or American Cheese - one of my guilty pleasures)
In a medium frying pan melt the butter until foamy. Put in eggs and break the yokes, trying to keep them round. I use "egg rings" to cook my eggs, but you can just fry them too. Add ham on outside edges. Using smaller lid cover and cook until yokes are hard.

Place tomato slices on plate, then ham, then egg. Add cheese on top and either wait until melted (about 1-2 minutes) or put in microwave and zap for about 30 seconds. Eat with a knife and fork. Note: The ham has more than enough salt for this dish, though pepper is always nice. Delicious and a great way to start the day - takes me to lunch without a problem and is amazingly easy to fix.
Nutrition: Calories 396, Carbs 7, Fat 28, Protein 25, Salt 939 

LUNCH IDEAS:
I mix lunch up some and pre-cook things to take during the week. For example: Cooked sausage with deli mustard (watch the sausage for sugar), tuna salad with mayo, celery seeds, a scrape of onion, celery and some tomatoes mixed in are delicious with a side salad or an avocado. Marinated artichoke hearts are also good on the side. Boiled eggs crumbled over lettuce with blue cheese dressing and crumbles of blue cheese or feta are yummy and easy too. And of course leftovers from the low-carb dinner from the night before (although, if you're like my family, the poor meal never makes it that far!) Chicken thighs or drumsticks are usually very cheap and you can get a large package of them for about $6-7. On Sunday, I'll sprinkle salt, pepper, thyme, garlic granules, and paprika on them, arrange them on a deep cookie sheet and bake them at 350 for about 30 minutes.  Then, after they have cooled, I put 2 each in plastic containers, put 2 containers in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. I use the 2 during the early part of the week and take one out of the freezer the night before for the rest of the week. Add a salad with raspberry vinagrette, an avocado, or some cut up tomatoes and cucumbers, and you have a great lunch. (Nutrition: Chicken, Salad with tomatoes, Raspberry vinagrette: Calories 628, Carbs 11, Fat 22, Protein 32, Sodium 209+). The point is you can make lunches that are quick and easy with a little planning. If I have to order lunch at work (sometimes) I'll try to stay on my food plan and order meat salads (like chicken or tuna), green salads, or cheeses. I've found that if you ask for a chicken salad without the bread, that makes a pretty good lunch! I'll even go to a hamburger joint and ask them for a hamburger without the bun (or ketchup, since that has tons of sugar). Those are delicious too! Nothing better than a flame broiled jr. burger with cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo,  mustard and pickles. Add a side salad with light Italian dressing, and a diet soda (although I order water) and you've got it made... without the guilt! (405calories, 11 carbs, 34 fat)

No comments:

Post a Comment